Thursday, October 04, 2007

In "Love" with Roger Hamley, too bad he's not real



It's after one in the morning and I can't sleep. As I am lying here I am thinking about Roger Hamley from Wives and daughters and why women tend to fall in love with these fictional "men." Since it's been on my mind for a couple of days now I've come up with a list of reasons why we tend to "fall in love" with Gilbert Blythe, Mr. Darcy and Roger Hamley.



















1. I think that this is the biggest one, at least in my book. They tend to see the true potential and goodness in Anne, Elizabeth and Molly, even if it is eventually.

2. They are willing to get to really know the person and come to admire both their strengths and their weaknesses.

3. They serve them.

4. All of them have very real and apparent flaws, yet they are willing to work at changing them.

5. They are kind.

6. They see Women as equals.

7. They are honest.

8. They don't try to change her and mold her into societies accepted norm.

9. They think that she's beautiful.

10. Their love is based on something deeper than lust. It is a true and abiding love and one where they are willing to do whatever they can in their power to protect and provide happiness for the one they love.

11. They want to help them improve.

12. They laugh together.

13. They pursue them.

14. They connect intellectually.

15. They want to protect them.

16. They put the other's happiness before their own.

17. They are handsome, yet not always in the "hollywood" sort of way.

At the moment that is all I can come up with, but feel free to add your own reasons.

Here is the trailer for Wives and Daughters if you aren't familiar with the movie or the book.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UUwx0lZCAVY

4 comments:

Leigh said...

I have yet to fall in love with Roger, but I fell in love with Gilbert a long long time ago. One of my favorite things about him is his tireless pursuit of Anne. His love knows no bounds!

Bewitched Librarian said...

I must admit that I am a shameless fan of period dramas and own every movie that you mentioned. I think your points are well thought out. I do however wonder about how accurate a portrayal of 'men' they are because they are all characters written by women. Are we holding men to a fictional standard they will never achieve?

amesbury said...

In many ways yes, but don't men hold women to the same type of "fictional" standards? The things that I pulled out I hope were general characteristics that are applicable to both girls and guys.

Dian Wijayanti said...

Hi! I'm currently reading Wives and Daughter, while impatiently downloading the TV series! Then I googled Roger Hamley, and I saw your blog!! This is a real nice post! And I'm so falling, indeed, for those three men (I just finished watching the Anne collection--Anne of Green Gables, the sequel and the continuing story!), and whooo I love how you listed those reasons and I can't help but agreeing for each of them! Thanks for sharing! Hahaha.

http://www.abunchofnonsense.wordpress.com/