Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sometimes you should just stick to the weather

My mother the other day asked how I was liking my new singles ward-basically she was trying to figure out if I liked anybody. When I gave my normal reply of its big, there are a lot of girls, etc. and I expressed how hard a singles ward could be she was like it can't be all that bad. For someone who has never had to endure a singles ward they just don't understand what it is truly like. Tonight I had one of those really awkward conversation that make you want to go running from the singles ward and never return again. If they are looking for material for singles ward three it would be a perfect conservation.

Socially awkward kid: How old are you? (1st point against him. Not the smartest thing to ask someone's age as the first question)
Me: How old do you think I am?
SAK: 17. You don't look old enough to be here. (second point against him. I've resigned myself to the fact that I look younger, but you shouldn't imply at anytime that someone is too young to be somewhere-especially at a church fireside)

SAK: What do you do?
Me: I work for a book publishing company as the Graphic Designer
SAK: I don't go to school, but I am this amazing and incredible artist, but I can't seem to get a job doing art (Third awkward point, don't brag about how good you are, because if you can't get a job in the field it probably means that you aren't that good)
At this point my roommate came up and once he found out that she had taught college English asked her if she would write the story for the comic book he wanted to illustrate. When she asked him what it was about he told her that it was about this criminal who wanted glory and because of it was cursed with no face and became sort of a good guy. Since he has no face he goes about stealing the face and hence identity of other criminals. When he steals their face the process of kills them. How do you respond to that? All I could think of was is all of this really coming out of his mouth?

He saved the best awkward conservation for last.
SAK: What is one thing that you would want to do or be if money, time, qualifications, etc. weren't a factor.
Me: The President of the United States
SAK: The Government is corrupt. I've been thinking about starting my own government based on communism, the united order and democracy that would eventually replace the current government (still trying to figure out how those three would work out). To do so I would start a "cult" (that is what he called it) that where the people lived these principles and because it was such a wonderful society and because of the 10 inch book I would write about this new form of government, people would be drawn to it and eventually I would be able to overthrow the government. So I guess you could say I am an anarchist or a rebel.

He sounds like he could fit in perfectly in LaVerkin (though I would hate to see a gun in his hands). But that type of information should never be shared with someone you just meet. Actually I am not sure if there ever is a great time to share it. In fact he should have just stuck to the weather.

No comments: