Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Random Useless Information

I am fascinated with random bits of information. I have a whole bunch of them stored in my head and sometimes they come in handy, but other times people just look at your kind of strangely when you mention something. After seeing becoming Jane last week I was in a very Jane Austen mood and picked up What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew. A most fascinating book of useless information. I've only made it through the C's on the glossary and wanted to share my two new random pieces of information that I learned.
1. Dollies--I've always wondered exactly why Victorian society used them, they were kind of ugly. Dollies have their place under pots of plants but not on furniture. The reason why they were put on furniture was due to the fact that some of the hair products used by men where really greasy or caused their hair to fall out so dollies were placed anywhere a man's head could touch or rest.
2. "Bushel and a Peck" I always thought that was a strange line to be saying to someone in a love song. According to this book a bushel and a peck was a unit of measurement. There were four pecks to a bushel. Which if it is a way to describe how much you love someone isn't all that much, but it does make the lyrics all that more relevant.

I love you a bushel and peck
A bushel and peck and a hug around the neck
A hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap and I'm talking in my sleep
About you, about you

Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck, I do
Doodle, oodle, oodle, doodle, oodle, oodle, doodle, oodle, oodle oo
I love you a bushel and peck
A bushel and peck though you make my heart a wreck
Make my heart a wreck and you make my life a mess
Make my life a mess, yes
A mess of happiness
About you, about you

Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck, I do
Doodle, oodle, oodle, doodle, oodle, oodle, doodle, oodle, oodle oo
I love you a bushel and peck
A bushel and peck and it beats me all to heck
Beats me all to heck and I'll never tend the farm
Never tend the farm when I wanna keep my arm
About you, about you

Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck, I do
Doodle, oodle, oodle, doodle, oodle, oodle, doodle, oodle, oodle oo

1 comment:

Don said...

My grandmother used to sing that song to me when I was a child. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.