Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Amesbury


Located in the Salisbury plains on the River Avon in Whiltshire, England, Amesbury is famous for one of England's best known monuments--Stonehenge, the Amesbury Archer--the largest Bronze Age burial site, and as the convent where according to Authurian legend Guinevere retired after leaving Arthur. The Beatles also stayed in Amesbury during part of the filming of "Help."
Amesbury Archer

I know why all of you are wondering why I'm giving a history of "Amesbury" but it stems from a conversation I had with my mom a couple of days ago and my use of "Amesbury" and she was wondering why exactly I was using it. I got the impression that she was slightly worried over the fact that I was using it.

After I got home from England, I was reading one of Georgette Heyer's novels--can't remember which one--in which one of the characters had the last name, or was it title of Amesbury. And I loved the sound of that. It sound so British and it just seemed to fit. It became the perfect username as I wasn't comfortable using my actual name and "Amesbury" wasn't too hard to spell, it was ambiguous, and even better was original--or so I though. In fact I thought that Georgette Heyer had made it up. It was only after I started using it that I found out later that "Amesbury" is actually an actual place.:)

3 comments:

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

I've always been curious about the title of your blog etc. It does have a nice ring and is fitting for you. Interesting info about its origin.

Megan said...

I didn't know that either! I always just assumed it stemmed from a combo of your name and your love of all things british :)

amesbury said...

Well that may have played into it as well. :)