Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happy Birthday Dear Sister





It's hard for me to grasp that fact that everybody is growing up, but then a birthday rolls around and I'm reminded that they are.

I know often enough I don't take the time to express my love for my family and I decided that birthdays would be a good time to rectify that. So HAPPY 26TH BIRTHDAY LAURA!

I was so blessed to have you as a little sister, albeit a taller one. :) I know that growing up I didn't always appreciate that fact that you were my sister, but it is something I now regret. I think it was due to the fact that I was jealous of you because you had--and still have--qualities I didn't.

I've always been impressed by your discipline. You never took the easy way out. Whatever you did--you did it right.

You've always been such a hard worker. I remember that during Saturday jobs you either finished your job way before everyone else did, or you did twice the same amount of work as us in the same amount of time.

You have been blessed with this special ability to connect to and listen to people. I've watched you in groups large and small and you are always able to make people comfortable and because of it they flock to you.

You've never let something sit that needed to be done. Whether it be the dishes after dinner or scrap-booking a trip as soon as we get the pictures. As a starter of many project, but a finisher of a few of all your characteristic this is the one I probably wish I had more of... but lately I've been trying to better emulate you in this.

I've been thinking back on all of the memories from over the years and which ones I would cherish, and I think the following are the ones that mean the most to me.

During our trip to London, I don't know what I would have done without you. You were the keeper of schedule and calmed me when I got uptight. Your "mary poppins" bag was a forced to behold. I will never forget that afternoon sitting at the Kenwood house and just talking about life and your upcoming mission.

The Christmas were we made the clothespin Nativity for mom and dad. There was something magical about those late-night hours where we worked on that project together, keeping what we were doing a secret even if it meant burnt fingers.

Your mission was hard for me and I hadn't realized how much I would miss you until you left. But as I watched you grow in your letters I was so proud of the person I saw emerging. You were refined and polished and came back stronger.

While I could go on and on with memories, the things I am most grateful aren't the memories but rather the person you are. I'm so grateful to have a sister who shares the same taste in music, books, movies, clothes, interests, and passion for life. A sister who has laughed with me and who had always been there to lend a hand when I most need it. I LOVE YOU TONS!!

No comments: