Thursday, May 06, 2010

This little badge is the reason I haven't been blogging much lately.


What's so special about this badge you ask? It's my ID badge for the Church History Museum and receiving it is the culmination of four long months. This little badge gets me into the parking lot behind the church museum and of course opens up fun doors in the Church History Museum.

When I started docent training in January I had no idea how intense the next four months would be. Though walking out with the following reading material on the first day should have been my first indication. Yes, that's over seven inches of material. When I started training I thought I would show up on Thursday, sit in a class for three hours and then be on my merry way. What I didn't count on was the HOURS I would spend on homework.


I've enjoyed the training and I've learned some amazing things. Did you know that the Church History museum has a penguin in it's basement? Or that Brigham Young got the idea for the tabernacle roof from a bridge that was built over the Jordan River? Or that the original Church History contained rocks and animals? Or that the longest serving bishop in the church served as bishop for 49 years?

While I like docent training (and while I may grumble about it, being a docent would be a whole lot scarier if I hadn't prepared as well), I was glad to see it finally come to an end. Yesterday, was the first day I was able to officially be on the floor and I loved this sense of being part of something special. There is a wonderful spirit in the museum and I know it's because of the thousands of artifacts and stories that are dying to be expressed. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to share amazing things in church history while strengthening testimonies. Who knows maybe I'll become one of those docents who has been at the museum for 10, 20 and even 30 years.

So if you're in Salt Lake on a Wednesday evening, stop by the museum for a tour. I'd love to show you around, unfortunately I won't be able to show you the penguin.

2 comments:

Spencer and Sara said...

OK DETAILS ON THE PENGUIN?!?! whhhhat?!

Teresa said...

Congratulations!!! That is so cool. I think that would be so much fun. We'll definitely have to come for a tour one Wednesday night. That'd be so fun.