Tuesday, April 10, 2012

May the Odd be Ever in Your Favor!




Out of the corner of my eye, I see Peeta extend his hand. I look at him, unsure. "One more time? For the audience?" he says. His voice isn't angry. It's hollow, which is worse. Already the boy with the bread is slipping away form me.

I take his hand, hold on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading the moment when I finally have to let go.

I read these last two paragraphs of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and promptly threw the book against the wall. In the beauty and horror of the story, I'd forgotten that it was the first book in a trilogy, and was expecting some resolution and was furious when that didn't come as I felt like I'd been played by the capitol.

Despite how much I read, very few of the characters or the story invokes such a response to me. For days after I finished the book, I wasn't sure what to think. The idea of liking a book that focus on the horrors of what people will do to others left a bitter taste in my mouth. And yet, I couldn't help but like it because there was something beautiful and very real in it. As I've read it again and again, I find more and more beauty in the story and I'm drawn to the themes of consequences of actions, love, friendship, trust, who we truly are, and of course, hope.

One of my all time favorite lines from any book comes from Mockingjay: What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. It perfectly sums up the books and don't we all need that reminder?

Hunger Games Confessions
1. I may have watched at least one YouTube video (fan video, trailers, clips, interviews) a day for at least month before the books was released.
2. I read The Hunger Games three times and Catching Fire and Mockingjay twice before the movie came out. I've read The Hunger Games about six times since the movie came out.


3. I have a major crush on Peeta and Josh Hutcherson. Peeta has now joined Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables, Nathanial Eaton from The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and Joe Willard from the Betsy-Tacy books as my all time favorite male characters.
4. I was like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for the midnight showing.
5. I've saw the movie twice in the first week (and liked it much better the second time).

2 comments:

Amanda and Chase England said...

The books are awesome, aren't they? And I felt like the movie version of Katniss was such a fabulous portrayal of the book Katniss. That's so hard to do, yet it was done so well!

Janey said...

I didn't know Nat was one of your favorite characters, because he is definitely mine!