I know the celebration of Advent is a way to mark the ways leading up to Christmas, but I didn't know much beyond that. So thanks to Wikipedia, I bring you the meaning of Advent.
- The celebration of Advent is a western Christian religion tradition and is celebrated the four Sundays before Christmas. Eastern religions celebrate the "Nativity Feast" which begins in September.
- Advent is the anglicized form of the Latin word adventus, which means "coming."
- Adventus is the Latin translation of the Greek word parousia which is commonly translated as "second coming.
- The celebration of Advent symbolizes both the coming of the celebration of the birth of Christ and the second coming of Christ.
- The common candle color is either purple or light blue. Which color you use is dependent on your religious affiliation.
- The celebration of Advent begun in the 6th century.
- In many Christian denominations, the Advent Prose is sung as part of the religious ceremony durning Advent. The words are drawn from 45:8.
- Advents candle wreaths can either have four or five candles.