Thursday, January 10, 2013

I'm going on an ADVENTURE

Yep, that's right. The blog has a new name.

Why the change? Let's just say that 2012 was a hard year, and, for some funny reason, a hard year means lots of introspection--and I mean lots. During the last six months I spent too many late nights pondering things (after too many late nights crying). In my tear-filed haze, I came to the realization that everything I wanted/needed this year would be an adventure to accomplish.  Getting a new job--adventure. Being happy with myself and situation--adventure. Dating--major adventure. So, the words of Bilbo Baggins "I'm going on an adventure" have become my unofficial motto.

But, actually there's more to it. In The Hobbit movie (I can't vouch if it's in the book as I was 11 when I read it),  Bilbo Baggins ask Gandalf if he will return from his adventure. Gandalf replies with some very wise council, “No... and if you do, you will not be the same.”  

Watching that, it finally dawned on me that the true meaning of an adventure is not that you did something/went somewhere, but rather, you did something you didn't think you could and you came away changed.  Changed for the good/bad, well that depends on you. 

Like Bilbo, I want to go on an adventure, or in my case, adventures--some will be good, some will be difficult, and some, of course, will be painful--but the hope is that all of them will change me. 

I'll be sharing what I learn on my adventure, so I hope you'll come along because every adventure is better with companions, right?

4 comments:

Sara said...

We've seen the Hobbit twice over the Christmas break, loved it. And we will love hearing about your adventures.
love you

Sam and Steph said...

You're always welcome to come adventure with us in SoCal :-)

Megan said...

I love your insights about adventure...so true!

Rachel said...

Love, love, love your new motto! I may even borrow it from time to time. Plus, if you want to do another Costa Rica type adventure, let me know. It was a blast.