Sunday, January 06, 2013

Ten Years of London Love

London you've enchanted me for TEN years. From that very first moment you captured my heart and  I felt like I was coming home. That first night I wrote "I can tell already that four months won't be long enough."  I could live there the rest of my days and it still wouldn't be enough time. As the plane was lifting off, I penned  "Farewell England. My heart belongs to you." So true. This is a love affair that is going to last a lifetime!

Stepping off that plane, I had no idea what my time in London would bring. I knew I'd be surrounded by awe-inspiring buildings, great historical places, and thousands of years of culture. What I didn't expect was to fall in love, find a true friend that has seen me through the ups and downs of life, or to truly discover who I was and what I wanted to become. Thank you for giving me that amazing opportunity to grow. It's probably why I love you so much. 


London
Buckingham Palace
First day in London, Buckingham Palace


Buckingham Palace
Last day in London, Buckingham Palace

Changing of the Guard, Buckingham Palace


St. James Park

Thames, Westminster, Big Ben
Big Ben

My favorite place to be at night, bank of the Thames

Big Ben
Thames and the South Bank

Houses of Parliament

London Eye

Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square
National Gallery, Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square

Trafalgar Square
Kensington Garden/ Hyde Park

Kensington Palace

Peter Pan Statue, Hyde Park

Iconic London, Black Taxis

Tower of London
Tower of London

Tower of London
White Tower, Tower of London
Beefeater, Tower of London

Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey

ST. Pauls

St. Paul's Cathedral


City of London aka the Square Mile

Welcome to the city of London


Cultural London

Victoria and Albert Museum

Globe Theatre

Les Miserables

The Tube aka the oldest mass transit system

Platform 9 3/4

The Tube

The Tube
Home, 27 Palace Court

Home, 27 Palace Court with the lovely Tina (the lady who ran the London Centre)

Dinning Room at 27 Palace Court

Packin' Up

England Adventures

First Red Phone Boxes,  Hampshire
Brighton Pier
Cardif Castle, Cardif Wales
Benbow Pond
St. Albans

Sainsbury's

Stonehenge
Shambles, York

Shambles, York

Rievaulx Abbey

Roommates at Rievaulx Abbey

Chatsworth

Chatsworth

Royal Observatory, Greenwich

Meridian Date Line, Greenwich
Crescent Circle, Bath

King's College, Cambridge

Punting on the River Cam, Cambridge

Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Scotland

Edinburgh Castle, Soctland

Downpour in Scotland

Lake District

Beatles Yellow Submarine, Liverpool

Salsibury Cathedral

Dover Castle

Dover Castle

Dover Castle. We had amazing directors with the Whittakers


Blenheim Place, birthplace of Winston Churchill

Blenheim Place

Windsor Castle

Portsmouth England
Jane Austen's House in Chawton

On the Bus



Home Stay
During the middle of the semester, we were sent to live with a British Family. Melanie and I stayed with the Rasmussen.

Visiting the birthplace of the Bakewell Tart

Our lovely host mum,  Elaine Rassmussen

Nottingham Castle home of Robin Hood

Some of the local YSA.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. It is amazing what can happen in four months. It has inspired me to scan my London pictures and get them in a book. Thanks for the friendship since then. Melanie

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

I love this post!!!!

Sara said...

i love all the pictures. miss you

scott davidson said...

What an interesting blog, introduced by a thought-provoking photo. The unusual wall painting of the dwellings is also a strangely modern interpretation. Something like this hieroglyphic view of a park by Swiss painter Paul Klee, http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LT475.
The image can be seen at wahooart.com who can supply you with a canvas print of it.

Rachel Eddington said...

Fun to see your pictures! It's always good to be in London.

Lauren Donna said...

I spent a summer in London as a college student and loved every single moment! I took so many of the same photos while I was there so it was fun to see these. I desperately need to return someday - I'm homesick for it!